Volunteer at HRR
Hawaii Rainbow Rangers is always welcoming new team members to its volunteer program! The program is best suited to individuals who enjoy interacting with both people and pets.
There is a volunteer role for every person as there is always life-saving work to be accomplished. Volunteer opportunities include, but are not limited to:
- Showing available dogs and cats to prospective adopters
- Cat & dog enrichment (walks, baths, playtime, etc.)
- Assisting kennel & clinic staff
- Photographing shelter pets
- Adoption event assistance
- Facility maintenance & grounds keeping
- Representing HRR at local events
- Diversion & resource counseling
- Fundraisers & awareness campaigns
- Have another way to help? If so reach out!
We are in current need for volunteers at our Kona & Keaau locations and are seeking future volunteers for our Waimea location,. To volunteer, please click here.
Looking to be a foster? Click here to view our foster information page.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the minimum age to volunteer?
Volunteers ages 16 and 17 can join the team as “Junior Volunteers” and require the signed consent of a parent or guardian to begin. Adults ages 18 and older are always welcome.
Can groups volunteer?
The shelter does offer one day events for groups interested in volunteering together. These opportunities are often geared toward community involvement rather than animal handling. Groups interested are encouraged to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Under 16 or looking for ways to accrue community service hours?
Individuals under the age of 16, in need of volunteer or community service hours can complete a shelter project. People ages 15 and younger can complete a shelter project with a parent and signed waiver. Shelter projects include:
- Donation Drive - Host a donation drive to gather supplies for the shelter and its pets. Hours dedicated to the drive will need to be documented.
- Email email@example.com to learn more about other potential projects.